"Desire's dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. The desires we act on determine our changing, our achieving, and our becoming."
Saturday, October 27, 2012
Genesis 1:26-31
I have been using Preach My Gospel for my scripture study guide lately. I've been reading about the creation of the world. The creation has taken on new meaning for me. The scriptures talk specifically about the creation of man and how our earthly bodies were created in the image of God. This is a great doctrine but sometimes it's hard for me to understand. I know that a major part of Heavenly Fathers plan of happiness was to come to earth and receive a body. But when you have a body that doesn't work the way that it is supposed to it is sometimes hard to recognize the blessing that a body really is. I feel like I have chronicled more than sufficiently my struggles with body image and body dysfunction. And while my frustrations are in many aspects unique and personal they are in many other aspects not so unique. A twenty-something year old girl with body image problems isn't unique. A twenty-something year old girl sitting at home with a little tube sticking out of her chest on a Friday night is unique. But with this struggle I am continuing to learn valuable lessons. I have learned that it is ok to pray to feel pretty and that God does answer those prayers. I have learned that scriptures can be a source of comfort even for what you think are stupid problems. I have learned that my worth doesn't lie based on how pretty other people think I am, doesn't lie in how normally my body functions, and it doesn't lie in my physical ability to do a yoga pose or any other form of physical activity. I wouldn't say that I have completely stopped having a love-hate relationship with my body. But I'm at least feeling a little bit better about it today. And after God created everything he looked upon everything and saw that it was very good. Everything was very good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment