Steve Jobs died today. I bet you're wondering about why I'm blogging about this. I'm not a huge Apple fan; I struggle to work the Macs at school; I don't own an iPad; I don't own an iPhone; I don't stand in line for the latest Apple gadget. So why am I blogging about him?
Well I love my iPod. :)
And yesterday, just yesterday I watched Steve Jobs' Stanford Commencement Address. Do you want to know what stuck out to me from that talk. "Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose." Poignant words to hear the day before someone dies. Oh the irony.
The moment I found out about Steve Jobs death the song "American Pie" by Don McLean. "This'll be the day that I die" played over and over again. I couldn't help but think that Steve Jobs had such a huge affect (or effect? I struggle at writing haha) on technology and even though I may not use a Mac myself, I know Steve Jobs helped make the PC what it is today, through competition. And he owned Pixar which produced "Toy Story", so I'll forever be indebted to him for part of my childhood. He truly changed the world.
Wow! What a great speech!
ReplyDelete