I guess I'm a little more like my Grandma M. then I realized. She called me on Sunday to wish me a happy birthday and since it was Mothers Day we talked about how in church on Mothers Day people give talks about "perfect" mothers. My Grandma told me she hated those "perfect Mothers" talks, I can only assume because she doesn't view herself as a "perfect" mother. When she told me this it made me think about how I had been pondering blogging about how I tend to compare myself to the "perfect people" in the blogs that I read. Sometimes these "perfect people" blogs drive me crazy because I don't see myself as a perfect person, so I wonder why I keep a blog or why I even try my best at anything because I never seem to measure up to the perfection that is other people. And I guess this is the same way my Grandma M. feels about being a mother. I don't think she's perfect, but I think she did a really good job she just can't see it. And I think I'm the same way about a lot of things. I think lots of people are that way though.
My roommates and I had a similar discussion right before I moved back home. We were talking about how each of us has "issues" that we think are so obvious to everyone else and that we think everybody just looks at us and thinks "Oh my gosh. She has issues." and that everyone just sits there and judges us. In all reality though, we're too busy noticing and trying to cover up our own "issues" to notice and judge most other peoples issues most of the time. We're all a lot harder on ourselves then we are on other people. It was interesting to talk about this to my roommates because they all pointed out "issues" they thought were obvious to everyone else, and I didn't think it was an issue for them. I think we all need to be a little more forgiving of ourselves and realize that we're not the only one struggling to get through life.
This is my biggest struggle in life. I'm still working on it.
ReplyDelete