I've been thinking about goals a lot lately. I've been thinking back to YW's, back when we used to have a lesson every year or two about goal setting and then set 1 year, 2 year, 5 year, and 10 year goals. A lot of the goals that I set for myself back then didn't happen, at least not in the way I imagined they would happen, but it was comforting to have a "plan" for my life, even if I didn't follow it exactly. It at least gave me some sort of direction. The thing is that back then I didn't look at my life much past the age of 21. I mean really when you're a little kid you think of becoming a teenager and all the coolness that is being a teenager (haha), turning 16 and dating and driving, turning 18 and graduating high school and being an official adult who can vote and go to college and move out of the house, and then turning 21 and either being married and soon having children or if I was so dreadfully unlucky as to be an "old maid" who wasn't married by the age of 21 going on a mission and then getting married right after, and then graduating from college around age 22 and getting a job immediately. Then I would be married with kids and a job so there would be no reason to plan out the rest of my life.
My perspective has changed a little since then.
I no longer think 21 is an "old maid" to not be married. And I realize that I can't just "decide" when I'm going to get married and start a family at this point, because that takes two people and I don't have person number two just yet and I'm not sure when I'll have person number two. So I'm moving marriage and family into my "lifetime goals" that I don't have a lot of control over. But I realized that I am turning 20 really soon. 20. That's 1/4 of the way to 80. I can feel the wrinkles and gray hair coming on already.
(just kidding!) Anyway as I was pondering my upcoming birthday and just life in general I realized that I have no specific goals for my life at this point. That realization made me feel nervous, because even if I don't reach specific goals that I set, it at least gives me a direction and a purpose for my life. So I decided that I want to set some goals.
1 Year from now I want to:
- Have a job up in the Great White North
- Walk/Run a 5k (probably a lot more walking then running but hey I'll try)
2 Years from now I want to:
- Graduate from college
- Get an internship
5 Years from now I want to:
- Be financially stable.
- Have a real career as a Child Life Specialist
10 Years from now I want to:
- Own a house
- Make a trip to England to visit/live. I'll see all the sights, meet the people, and I want to do some family research back there.
Long Term Goals that I refuse to set an age/date/time frame for:
- Marriage (in the Temple of course!)
- Children
Do you guys have any other good long term goal idea that you would like to share? Pretty please! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment