(Yet another post I wrote a really long time ago and never posted.)
There are some moments that stick with you. There are moments when you wish you had chosen differently.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to go to the temple. As I crossed the street from the Conference Center over to Temple Square a woman caught my eye. She looked like your regular old homeless beggar that you might see any given day around Temple Square. I knew the social routine - look away, pretend you don't see her, keep walking, ignore her, and if she tries to ask you for money politely say no without stopping. And I did. I walked right on by her without stopping. She did ask me for money and I shyly said no.
I instantly felt guilty, but I tried to put the instance out of my mind. I thought to myself "I'm a poor college student, it's not like I have money to give away anyway." And then I thought "She'd probably just end up using it on drugs and alcohol anyway." And I thought "She might have tried to steal your wallet when you brought it out or something."
But I couldn't shake the feeling of guilt. I asked myself "Really? You couldn't have spared a few dimes? Nickles? Pennies? You had loose change in your pocket. It may not have helped much but it could have helped her some." And I considered the place I was going. I was going to the temple to worship my Savior. Did He turn away help for the poor and the homeless? I considered what He would've done and compared it to what I had done. I wondered if it was really my place to judge what she would spend the money on. And why would I just assume the worst in this woman? I also wondered at what had made her choose her location to beg. Did she believe that Latter-Day Saints are Christ like people who would have compassion for the poor? Had she been proven wrong over and over again that day and seen Latter-Day Saints as only judgmental hypocrites who don't practice what they preach?
This has bothered me for a while now. And I'm really not sure what to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment