After lunch I decided to walk out to the actual battle sites. Again I took my time, really trying to soak up the moment. I walked by monument after monument after monument. It was amazing to see how this place that's kind of in the middle of nowhere and not much to look at, is such sacred life because of how many people lost their lives. The museum had often talked about how Gettysburg was the turn of the Civil War and how the Confederates should have won the battle, they had way more men than the Union. But because the Union held the high ground they were able to win. The Union held the literal high ground over those three days, but also the figurative high ground through out the war. And if we as people continue to hold the high ground in the war against Satan, we will win as well.
I then wandered over to the cemetery, where Lincoln gave his famous Gettysburg address. I absolutely love cemeteries and this cemetery did not disappoint. Again I slowly, quietly, and reverently wandered, observing the many headstones. Many were not from the actual Civil War. Many of them that were from the Civil War had Unknown written on them. It was really cool to see the different monuments to Lincoln as well in the cemetery. It was a peaceful place, so different from the war that made it famous. I left that day feeling like I had just gone on a very cool spiritual journey coming to understand the men who fought for my freedom a little bit better. I love Gettysburg.

You make me want to go back. (Our last experience was less than ideal because the teenagers didn't want to be there.) We drove around with a tape giving us information and we got out once in a while. I think it is a sacred place (as are all cemeteries). I'm glad you're having fun and seeing the country.
ReplyDelete