The moment she stepped foot on campus
She knew that she belonged.
She had the confidence people envy
And she had big dreams for life.
"Someday" she told herself "I'll leave this town.
I'll live in Boston, Washington D.C.,
Maybe even New York.
I'll be the new girl there,
Just like I'm the new girl here
And I'll rock that place
Just like I'm rocking this place."
What happens when dreams change?
When the dreams she has
And the dreams she wants
No longer match.
She changes slowly but steadily
The new dreams seem more out of reach
Than her old dreams.
She feels a sense of helplessness.
But she wants her new dreams
To come true so badly.
It's an uphill battle, all the way.
Her heart is broken
She's rejected in every way possible.
She begins to wonder about
Abandoning this new dream
For her old dream.
But something in her heart reminds her of the princess
She always wanted to be.
She wonders how long she'll play the sad part.
Years pass
A new city, she's the new girl again,
The confidence she knew so well dimmed
Unsure, unsteady,
Where will her path lead now?
The incline steepens
New mountains to climb
Angels come to help along the way
She recognizes some but others go unnoticed
Each come in the nick of time.
She tries not to look to far back or to far forward
Choosing to concentrate one step at a time,
Knowing time has changed her and those she loved;
Knowing time will change her and those she loves.
Learning to rely on herself
And her angels as they come and go
And no one else.
No comments:
Post a Comment