"Desire's dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. The desires we act on determine our changing, our achieving, and our becoming."
Sunday, January 13, 2013
Converted to The Lord not the ward
I'm not going to lie I've struggled with my ward this past year and a half and even more so since August. My ward consists mainly of freshmen living on campus and fraternity and sorority kids and I don't really fit into either group. My misfit friends who I used to attend with don't go now for various reasons so I'm usually all by myself on Sundays. My ward is huge and the bishopric is new so I pretty much go unnoticed. This has been very difficult for me and I've felt like an outsider and a visitor in my own ward. As difficult as it has been its been a good learning experience. This experience is helping me to understand and be more compassionate with other people's struggles at church. I have learned how difficult it is to go to church when you don't know anybody and you don't feel like you fit in. I have also been able to prove to myself that I am becoming converted to the Lord and not to the ward. I've come closer to The Lord when my only reason to be there is to learn of Him and to renew my covenants not to socialize. I've also learned not to take offense as I realize that the church is true but sometimes the members aren't. Even though I may be lonely at church during the next fifteen weeks I will continue to attend because my relationship with my Savior and renewing covenants is more important to me then fitting into my ward.
Labels:
Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sometimes it takes a long time to feel a part. I have lived in our ward almost six years, and it is finally starting to feel like home to me. I'm sure some day you will find a ward that is family. I'm glad you've got the right attitude now.
ReplyDeleteYou are there for the most important reason. My experience is that singles' wards are fairly lame, and probably most especially in SLC. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE SLC, and I love the ward I grew up in, but I have probably heard more bad than good when it comes to singles' wards and / or wards in SLC. Since yours is a combo of both those scenarios, you may have just gotten some rotten luck on this one. I am sorry :( It sounds like you are prepared to power through. Then, on to greener pastures! Love you!
ReplyDeleteI understand how hard that can be! It's really difficult to want to get up and dressed in the morning to go be lonely in the ward. You are a trooper! I love your change in perspective for why you go. I need to remember that in my new ward!
ReplyDelete