Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The difference between Boys, Guys, and Men

I don't pretend to be an expert on males or on dating, but there are a few things I have observed.  Most of the "male species" can be separated into three categories (oh no, my biology background is coming back to me, dang classification) Boys, Guys, and Men.
  • Boys - noun - 1. A male who is young, not an adult yet.
                                2. An immature male.
                               
                                3. Usually scared of females.  Refuses to date.
  • Guys - noun - 1. A teenager or young adult.
                                2. An immature man

                                 3. Fun to hang around with, but you'll never get a commitment out of him.  Some may date but you know deep down that it'll never really go anywhere.  Some choose not to date because they don't want to spend money on "somebody else's wife." Examples of "Guys": Mr. Whickam from Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Frank Churchill from Emma, and Mr. Henry Crawford from Mansfield Park.
  • Men - noun -  1. An adult male
                                2. A mature man.

                                3. Will actually date.  Have "eternal companion potential." Examples of "Men": Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley from Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Knightly from Emma, Edmund from Mansfield Park, Colonel Brandon and Mr. Ferrars from Sense and Sensibility, and Mr. Tilney from Northanger Abbey.

Now all males shift somewhere on the spectrum between boy and man.  But some spend more time on one side or the other.  When I was younger I found that there were a lot of boys around.  Now that I'm in college I've found a lot of guys.  But I've heard rumors of a place "The Great-White North" where there actually Men to be found!!  I don't know if I actually believe in such a place, it's so unbelieveable, but it's kinda cool to think about.  Maybe someday I'll go to the "Great White North."

No comments:

Post a Comment